Frequently Asked Questions

Having Trouble Filing Your e-Postcard? Find Your Answers Here!
Yes, you can e-file your Form 990-N (e-Postcard) with ExpressTaxExempt by just entering your EIN, and with a few steps, your e-Postcard gets transmitted to the IRS.
You can check your status by entering your email address and return number on the "Check Status" page and clicking "Submit." Then select the filing year to view its status. You can find your return number in your email notification sent from ExpressTaxExempt after transmitting. It's also possible to check your filing status simply by entering your EIN on the "Home" page.
Yes, you need to create an account with ExpressTaxExempt; however, it's one of the quick, easy steps to e-file and only requires an email address and password.
Yes, re-transmitting a rejected e-Postcard can be easily done through ExpressTaxExempt for free if you have transmitted the original 990-N form with our service.
Enter your EIN on the "Home" page and select the e-Postcard summary for the year you need.
Yes, you can e-file Form 990-N (e-Postcard) for previous years with ExpressTaxExempt within the IRS three consecutive year limit (i.e. 2019, 2018, 2017).
Yes, ExpressTaxExempt allows you to access your e-Postcard from any mobile device. Enter on your mobile browser and e-file your return with the IRS.
If your organization became tax-exempt during the filing year, you need to submit basic information about the organization at Create your free account, enter your organization's details, and e-file your 990-N from there. If you've already submitted an information return with the IRS, you can still transmit an e-Postcard using ExpressTaxExempt.
Yes, our service supports Form 990, 990-EZ, and Extension Form 8868 filings. Create your free account, enter your organization details, and select the 990 form you need at
Our service charges $19.90 for each current and prior e-Postcard you file, and you only pay when you are ready to transmit to the IRS.